This started out as a list of 30 things to do before I’m 30 – but since I’m the sort of person who always seems to take on a bit too much and ends up with a ridiculous workload, I’ve ended up with a list of 32.
Most people create these lists when they reach a particular milestone (25th and 29th birthdays are understandably the most common), and while I’m still reeling from the slight shock of turning 25, I’m not near a special birthday, or at a particular turning point in my life. At least, not as far as I’m aware.
But I think that now was the perfect time for me to make this list. As I started to write it, I quickly struggled to think of items to add. Why? I’m floating. Beyond a couple of big ideas, I wasn’t sure exactly where I wanted my life to take me. At the moment I’m working week by week, busy Monday to Friday, and then either collapsing at the weekend, or working right back through to Monday again.
I need to force myself to break that up – that’s why I started this blog, after all. I need short-term goals.
A number of these (the travel ones in particular) are on my Bucket List as well – but not all. Some are features of my lifestyle that I would like to change. Some are simply too small to go on my Bucket List, but are things I would like to achieve all the same. Some are specific to me, but many are goals that anyone could aspire to.
I hope my 32 things inspire you to create a list of your own.
32 Things To Do Before I’m 30:
- Publish a poetry pamphlet
- Write and publish a novel
- Travel to Antarctica
- Travel to at least 5 new countries
- Visit Lizzie in Barcelona
- Visit Jessi in Portland, Oregon
- Drive around Iceland’s Route 1
- Island hopping in the Pacific
- Take a solo trip that lasts at least a month
- Spend at least a week at the Edinburgh Fringe
- Visit Ireland
- Road trip the coast of California
- Drive a convertible (roof down)
- Take a road trip in a camper van
- Go on a writing retreat by the sea
- Go to a music festival
- Order room service
- Hold a conversation in Spanish
- Climb a mountain
- Undertake (and complete) a multi-day walk
- Be able to run a mile without collapsing / seizing up / giving up and walking
- Do 30 sit-ups in a row
- Take a photography course
- Bake at least one cake
- Knit or crochet something (anything will do)
- Make an item of clothing, which is acceptable to wear in public and doesn’t fall apart
- Own (and have reason to wear) a full length ball gown
- Give cards / chocolates / flowers to a stranger / strangers on Valentines Day
- Buy a piece of original artwork
- Finish reading The Well of Loneliness
- Achieve 1000 twitter followers (you can help with this one here)